New innovations and trends have been constantly disrupting industries and the tourism industry also has been experiencing the same. It is important for businesses to stay with the trend to cater to growing customer needs and to be competitive. Priorities seem to have shifted with time, new needs evolved and new requirements emerged. Hence, you need to be aware of the key tourism trends in 2022 and beyond.
Factors responsible for changing trends in the tourism industry
Travel Health is given more importance post-covid times. This sector is also found to be increasingly using advanced technology, especially machine learning and artificial intelligence. Hotels have been adopting AI-powered technology and robotics. Their introductions also have led to changing customer behavior with rise in voice search and voice control. Local, safety and hygiene is being given more importance than international services. Also is encouraged remote working and contactless payments while there is a rise in trends associated with eco-travel and organic food.
Covid related and general tourism trends in 2022-23
- Leisure: Travel restrictions that many countries have adopted are slowly being lifted. But still, employees are encouraged to use video calling and work from their respective homes. This has badly affected business events. Leisure customers are presently being focused upon while PCR test is being strongly recommended.
- Safety & Hygiene: Hygiene and safety standards are given more importance since Covid times by bars, restaurants, hotels, cruises and airlines. Several tourism trends are associated with it like socially distanced seating, increased cleaning, enforcing masks, offering hand gel, etc. recently conducted Antigen test reports will be need to be taken by travelers throughout the travel.
- Contactless payments: When tourism related technology is concerned, contactless payments is in huge demand. Apple Pay and Google Pay have ensured customers not having to carry their credit card or debit card. Thus, paying for various types of services including meals, transport, hotel stays have become contactless. Tourism companies are also enjoying reduced friction while improving check-out and check-in speed.
- Shift to local from international: Tourism industry presently is focusing more on local customers than internal travelers. This is mostly due to imposing of several travel restrictions as well as reluctance by many to travel to foreign countries. Hence, some change will be essential in the core marketing strategies.
- Virtual Reality: It is another major trend that has been disrupting the tourism industry. Modern technology is being capitalized to derive that extra edge over competitors. Customers are provided with online VR tours. They can now experience restaurant interiors, hotel interiors, outdoor tourist attractions, etc. all from the comfort of their home. They can also make proper decisions and know whether to proceed or back out from their proposed journey.
- Eco Travel: The fact is tourism trends are influenced heavily by concerns of customers. Eco travel reflects concerns growing among today’s travelers. It encourages sustainable and ethical tourism options. It also includes introducing simple changes like carbon credit availability during flight booking.
The above are the latest trends that the tourism industry requires to adopt to please its customers, ensure their safety and enhance comfort.